Like us on Facebook

Tuesday 1 February 2011

Swansea Jazzland

Being on tour is great, although it does mean that you end up spending only a small amount of time in a town or city seeing the inside of a jazz club followed by the bright lights of the motorway/inside of a hotel room if you're lucky.  If your gig is scheduled between November-February, it's unlikely that any of the time you spend in the aforementioned town or city will be during daylight hours.

This is how I arrived in Swansea on 19th January.  I had a short walk to my hotel and passed a brilliant sign on my way - a slogan written on the outside of a building site saying "Swansea: 2nd best city after Paris."

The gig was at Swansea Jazzland and I had been invited by Dave Cottle to join him and the rest of the house trio for their second gig of the year.  It was such a brilliant gig - my most enjoyable for a long time.  I had a lot of queries before the gig as to whether my "Hughes" was native Welsh and I was proud to say that my Grandfather was from down the road in Llanelli.  I had even prepared a song in Welsh to appeal to the locals.  Unfortunately, I didn't quite realise that I was on Osprey turf, and my choice of Sosban Fach (the team song for Ospreys arch rivals the Llanelli Scarletts) was booed before it even started!!  I had done a jazz waltz arrangement with a latin feel, so during the solos I think the punters forgot what song it was and just enjoyed the jazz!

We finished a little after 11, and I had to head back to my hotel for a few hours' sleep before heading back to London on the ridiculous commuter train of 03:57 to get back in order to teach recorders at my morning school. 3:30am in Swansea on a Wednesday night is an interesting time: rather than being abandoned, I found the town centre full of young drinkers (there was even a bouncer at the door of MacDonalds).
Amazingly, I made it home in time for breakfast on my sofa... then after all that I ended up being late to school because of the ridiculous amount of traffic in Peckham.  I tried!

I'd like to visit Swansea again - not least for the wonderful atmosphere at that Jazz club, but also it would be nice to see the city in daylight and actually stay long enough for breakfast!

No comments:

Post a Comment